Saturday, January 9, 2021

Getting xmrig working in FreeNAS 11.3

 Installing the xmrig plugin in FreeNAS 11.3 leads to a built jail, and a huge uptick in CPU usage, but no way of configuring the plugin via webGUI.

What I found interesting is in absence of user configurations like pool, wallet address, algorithm, coin etc my machine seemed to be mining right away after install.

More strangely, when I tried to input these settings into the config.json found in (/mnt/Pool1/iocage/jails/xmrig/root/usr/local/etc/mxrig) it just broke, it was not longer mining, so I had no activity in the various pools I tried to join.

I double checked my firewall logs that I was not blocking this outbound or return traffic, furthermore tested nslookup and ping of the pool subdomains.

Either I'm configuring the wrong .json or doing it totally wrong (probably the latter as the CPU percent no longer hangs at 50%+ vs. the default install).

Having done a bad job of remembering what changes I had made to the config I just copied the example config.json over the working one, boom the CPU back up to high output.

I then re-input JUST the pool URL and my Address- SUCCESS (I think, as miner went from "no worker found" to "No Data Available" and the site says to give it about an hour).


No comments:

Post a Comment