Monday, January 9, 2017

Greddy EMU in Tacoma Truck (5vz-fe with TRD Supercharger)

I have a 2001 TRD 4x4 ext. cab Tacoma with TRD supercharger.  I bought it used with 200K on the odometer, the original owner put the S/C at 30K miles, up to this point it had no fuel mods-- yes, the 5vzfe is a fricken tank of a motor that seems to laugh at ping- but I don't like ping.

I didn't want to run the off-the-shelf solution that was the standard at the time, URD kits based off of split second piggybacks.  I had been looking at AEM FICs and Greddy EMUs and decided the AEM FIC has the features the 5vz-fe needed, namely the o2 sensor scewing feature set as the 5vz has a lot of closed loop boost.

Long story short, the FIC was a real pain to early adopt.  AEM themselves needed to make an updated firmware for the o2 sensor scewing circuit to have the ranges to work on the Toyota sensors, and the cam and crank circuit seems to not have much noise filtering, many Toyota installs require bridge resistors of around 2.2K to ground to pull down the noise so the FIC doesn't give false signals to the ECU.

Two things made me finally move away from the FIC though:
- A tuner in Canada that posted dyno tested results of the FIC not having the same timing retard accuracy as the Greddy EMU.  The FIC simply intercepts and offsets the cam and crank signal, the EMU intercepts the cam and crank, but also the IGT signals themselves.
- the FIC did not have a auto shifting timing retard feature-- I was getting ping when the tranny shifted.  The EMU does have a feature to retard timing during shifts (as the OE ECU advances timing during shifts, thus the ping).
- I use E85 from time to time.  The FIC has a map switching feature, and the EMU can be modded to do the same, but the EMU can advance timing, the FIC can only retard timing- score one more for the EMU to get more power out of E85, more MPGs out of 91 octane in vacuum (OE engine built to run 87 and the OE knock sensor is not used under 3K RPM so the OEM ECU does not optimize vacuum timing).

But the reason I didn't go with the EMU to begin with is that it DOES NOT have any o2 correction features/wiring.  But I wanted the piggy that didn't have finicky cam/crank circuits, more power, and accurate timing retard.  So I installed the EMU but to shore up the crucial o2 feedback requirement, also wired in a Split Second enricher.

So far its a great success, I have great start-up (the AEM FIC seemed to have to sync first before allowing cam/crank to pass through), no more little electrical gremlins the FIC seemed to have, and overall less ping with the same timing retard settings so I feel it really is more effectively retarding timing in boost.  I will update when I run E85 and further refine the tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment